Thursday, January 22, 2009

MUSE || 80s Glamour

I spent a lot of time tonight thinking about Bryan Ferry's Slave to Love and 9 1/2 Weeks. There is something about the song and the movie that transcends time and fashion. It struck me more of being a mood rather than just a song or film. It's very powerful. Working on a mood board now, and I hope it can help me understand this feeling better.

//Edit

I found this chunk on text on my itouch... about Bryan Ferry's Slave to Love video, and wow, what was I talking about? :P It was late at night and had a bit to drink... that's why it sounds like weird ramblings! :)

Can't place Bryan Ferry. Roxy Music seems like a mood, not a style. Very beautiful, idealised version of a modern glamourous life. Very elegant, Very passionate. Bryan Ferry is the epitome of what it stands for. Like a film, very much like In the Mood for Love or Blade Runner. Like a drug. Like a mood. Like a love you can never have.

Anyway, I've screencapped the video off Youtube, and my pictures do no justice to the beauty of the video. Every single moment in the video was constructed carefully to look beautiful in that moment. And yet, it joins up in a coherent story. I remember feeling the same about Wong Kar Wai's In the Mood for Love, where every scene was set up so beautifully, every shot tells a story and yet it comes together beautifully. The last shot is that of Kim Basinger in 9 1/2 Weeks.

You really have to see it to feel it.

No comments:

Post a Comment